Understanding how people value the environment or pollution is another major area of environmental economics – important to make the case for policy and to calibrate the appropriate level of policies such as taxes. Apart from an early article with Katarina Katz in 1990 (which was apparently just about the first valuation article in Sweden), I have mainly left the subject but sometimes collaborated with colleagues in Gothenburg who are more expert in the field.
- Rasmussen, J., Ewald, J., & Sterner, T. (2020). Gender and life-stage dependent reactions to the risk of radioactive contamination: A survey experiment in Sweden, PLoS One, forthcoming.
- Löfgren, Å., Martinsson, M Hennlock, and T Sterner (2012). “Are experienced people affected by a pre-set default option—Results from a field experiment”, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 63, no. 1, Pages 66-72.
- Carlsson F, M Kataria, A Krupnick, E Lampi, Å Löfgren, P Qin, and T Sterner, (2013). “The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth – A Multiple Country Test of an Oath Script,” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, vol 89, pp. 105–121.
- Carlsson F, M Kataria, A Krupnick, E Lampi, Å Löfgren, P Qin, and T Sterner, (2013). “A Fair Share: Burden-Sharing Preferences in the United States and China” , Resource and Energy Economics, vol 35 , pp. 1–17.
- Carlsson, F., Kataria, M., Krupnick, A., Lampi, E., Löfgren, Å., Qin, P., Chung, S. and Sterner, T. (2011). “Paying for Mitigation: A Multiple Country Study”, Land Economics , Vol 88, No.2, pp 326-340.
- Carlsson F., Kataria M., Lampi E., Löfgren Å. and Sterner T. (2011). “Is fairness blind? – The effect of framing on preferences for effort-sharing rules”, Ecological Economics, vol. 70, pp. 1529-1535.
- Carlsson, F., Löfgren, Å. and Sterner, T. (2011) “Discrimination in Scientific Review: A natural field experiment on blind versus non-blind review”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 500–519.
- Katz, K. and T. Sterner (1990). “The Value of Clean Air’, Energy Studies Review”, Vol. 2 No. 1, pp 39-47.