Most of my students have come from low income countries and much of our work in the Environment for Development is oriented to understanding how to use the environment sensibly in the context of poverty and poverty alleviation. Some of my research has also dealt with such issues and often the research itself is quite similar to the same research in richer countries but issues of fairness, distribution and institutions such as property rights become somewhat more salient.
- Sterner, T. (2014). “Mission started – but far from accomplished”, Environment and Development Economics, vol. 19, pp 295-297.
- Thomas Sterner, Yonas Alem, Francisco Alpízar, Cyndi Spindell Berck, Carlos Alberto Chavez Rebolledo, Johane Dikgang, Stephen Kirama, Gunnar Köhlin, Jane Mariara-Kabubo, Alemu Mekonnen and Jintao Xu. (2014). “The Environment for Development Initiative: lessons learned in research, academic capacity building and policy intervention to manage resources for sustainable growth“, Environment and Development Economics, vol 19, pp 367-391.
- Motel, P. A Minu and T Sterner (2014). “Explorations in the environment-development dilemma”, Environmental and Resource Economics, vol. 57, pp. 479-485
- Coria, J and Sterner, T. (2011.) “Natural resource management: Challenges and policy options”, Annual Review Resource Economics, vol. 3 , pp. 203-230.
- Sterner, T., and D Slunge. (2009). “Environmental Fiscal Reform in East and Southern Africa and its Effects on Income Distribution”, in Environmental Taxes And Fiscal Reform edited by Laura Castellucci and Anil Markandya, Rivista di Politica Economica, VII-IX: July-sept.
- Coria, J., Löfgren, Å. and Sterner, T. (2010). “To Trade or Not to Trade: An Analysis of Trading Schemes at the Firm Level“, Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 91, pp 2126-2133.
- Coria, J. and Sterner, T. (2010). “Tradable Permits in Developing Countries: Evidence From Air Pollution in Chile”, The Journal of Environment and Development, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 145–170.
- Garcia, J H., R Bluffstone, and T Sterner. (2009). “Corporate Environmental Management in Transition Economies: The Case of Central and Eastern Europe”, Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 410-425.
- Kateregga, E. and Sterner, T. (2009). “Lake Victoria Fish Stocks and the Effects of Water Hyacinth” Journal of Environment and Development, Vol 18, no1, pp 62-78.
- J H. Garcia, S. Afsah and T. Sterner, (2009).“Which Firms are More Sensitive to Public Disclosure Schemes for Pollution Control? Evidence from Indonesia’s PROPER Program“, Environmental Resource Economics, Vol. 42, no. 2, Page 151
- Garcia, J., T Sterner and S Afsah. (2007). “Public Disclosure of Industrial Pollution” The PROPER approach for Indonesia” Environmental and Development Economics, Vol 12 Part 6 pp. 733-756.
- T. Sterner. (1989). “Factor Demand and Substitution in a Developing Country: Energy use in Mexican Manufacturing”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Vol. 91, No. 4, pp 723-739